The main goal of the project is to improve community knowledge regarding more efficient economic development models and practices that contribute to the creating better life conditions and sustainable development for the community of the Diocese of SAPA territory.
The specific objectives of the project are:
- Expend and intensify the knowledge base among mountain area communities regarding improved economic development models and practices that help them improve their social and economic life conditions and create premises for more sustained development opportunities in the area.
- Consolidate and strengthen good economic development models and practices introduced in the plain area ensuring higher efficiency of economic activities and a better management of resources.
- Consolidate and strengthen the “Fiends of SAPA” lobbing movement in the whole Diocese territory to support the region development.
The project will be implemented within a period of 36 months, starting from the of project approval.
3.2. Project Approach
Based on the experience gained, results and lessons learned from the previous project, this new project has been
designed based on the following considerations:
Priority is given to a further extension and intensification of the training and education activities for development in the mountain areas with a particular attention given to social and economic
Empowerment and integration of youth, women and ex-emigrants who have returned to their home villages.
- A significant attention will be paid in the exploitation of the resources of these areas, focusing especially on collection and marketing of medicinal herbs; development of tourism; increase the livestock production, mainly goats; river and lakes fishery and poultry; promote traditional handcrafts activities in function of touristic development.
- The demonstrative models are considered as a very effective methodology for the training of farmers groups and for the various technology transfer activities. They will include establishment of centers of local products collection, processing and marketing, with the aim to attract the interest of farmers and families to be engaged in the collection process as an opportunity of employment and income generation.
- The technical assistance will be focused more on-the-site, as the farmers have more needs for practical knowledge. The technical assistance should focus also in supporting the centers of products collection and processing, in order to ensure that they fulfill standards and quality.
- The work in plain areas should focus on the process supervision, in order to assure groups consolidation and continuation, give them support for the improvement of products standards, market organization, etc.
- The project will make special efforts to ensure an active participation and engagement of youths and women, as both these categories play a determinant role in the development processes and give the main contribution in this process.
- The project will build on the local knowledge base and develop a network of trained local specialists which are capable to replicate the training modules and continue to provide technical assistance and support to farmers in the territory after the completion of the project.
- The Lobbing Movement of SAPA Diocese (Friends of SAPA), functioning under the Bishop’s, remains an important “umbrella” that puts together the intellectual potentials and resources, in favor of the social and economic development of SAPA diocese territory.
Taking into consideration the geographic relieve of SAPA territory, and also the differentiated situation of development within the project territory, the project implementation approach is built on a combination four main tools:
- Information and knowledge transfer;
- Bridging market and knowledge linkages;
- Building and transferring on-the-job skills through practical demonstrations; and;
- Lobbing activities and support to strengthening the overall economic development environment.
Started on June 2016 – June 2019