BUKE KRIPE ZEMER: FOOD, TRADITION AND CULTURE: Progress of join development in the marginelized areas of south and north Albania
Processes of joint development of the marginalized areas in north and south of Albania, through valorization of know-how and traditional bio-Mediterranean products
The Project BKZ “Buke-Kripe-Zemer: Food, Tradition, Culture: processes of joint development of the marginalized areas in north and south Albania” is financially supported by the Government of Italy (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) and Italian Cooperation.
The BKZ Project implements in Malesia e Madhe (Shkoder Region – North Albania) and Permet (Gjirokastra Region – South Albania) and it aims to the improvement of the social-economic conditions of the populations of the two districts Malesia e Madhe and Permet and surrounding mountain areas, through:
- The valorization of local resources;
- Diversification of economic activities,
- Improvement of the professional capacities and competences of the local producers and touristic services suppliers;
- Build communication and cooperation bridges between the local communities of the two areas.
The Project is Leaded by VIS Albania (Volontariato Internazionale per lo Sviluppo) and co-Lider CESVI Onlus (Cooperation and Development), in partnership with two counterparts: Municipality of Permet (South) and Comune of Shkrel (North) and for the specific interventions two local agencies: Fund BESA for the micro-credits scheme and the Foundation Partnership for Development as the facilitating partner for the coordination of actions and interventions between the two territories and for the technical assistance.
The project implements in four main components:
- Economic support for productive and community initiatives through a Joint Development Fund:
- Micro-credit: support through micro-credit scheme thanks to cooperation with BESA Fund;
- Mini-grants: possibility to support with mini-grants scheme up to 60% of the investments, in particular for the initiatives proposed by women and youths;
- Community grants: support to the initiatives proposed by the community that aim to improvement of living conditions of the community;
The Joint Fund management sees the activation of a Joint Management Committee established in each of the realities, and that will involve in its composition local actors, community members, representatives from local and partner institution for all decision making processes.
- Profesional capacity building for touristic guides; for the services providers of guesthouses; restaurants, and technical assistance to the cultivators and farmers.
- Standartization and marketing of local products:
- Definition of the quality standarts for the local products and agro-turistic services;
- Certification of the quality of products and services.
- Territorial promotion, through: participation in fair trades and events in Albania and abroad; opening of a center for the promotion and sale of the tipical local products; re-opening of the Historic museum in Permet ; establishment of the touristic itineraries and singlas in the two territories, to evidence and promote the territorial resources and cultural heritage.
The project has been already officially launched in three Events:
- The event in Tirana promoted by the Italian Cooperation, on 14 April 2014;
- The kick-off organized by VIS Albania on 14 May 2014 in Dedaj, Comune of Shkrel, Malesia e Madhe;
The kick-off organized by CESVI on 16 May 2014 in Permet.